Ruben Amorim’s plans for the Manchester United star failed as the World Cup dream officially ended.
Ruben Amorim was keen to revive the career of a Manchester United star so he could be selected for England at this summer’s World Cup, but that has failed to materialise.
Former Manchester United head coach Ruben Amorim had expressed his desire to become the manager who pushed Mason Mount back into England contention – but the World Cup squad was announced on Friday. He confirmed that his efforts had failed. The former Chelsea midfielder became a key figure for the Portuguese’s strategy during his turbulent tenure at Old Trafford, although after his sacking, he struggled to establish himself.
The Reds comfortably secured Champions League qualification thanks to a change of watch under caretaker boss Michael Carrick. The former midfielder has since been handed a new two-year contract in recognition of his spell at United.
On Friday, Thomas Tuchel revealed his 26-man selection for the upcoming tournament in North America.
The England manager has faced scrutiny over some inclusions and omissions, while Mount was left out entirely, his most recent Three Lions outing coming four years ago during the last World Cup.
It was previously reported that Amorem intended to do everything he could to push Mount to progress and press his case for England selection.
The 27-year-old has adapted at United under the former Sporting manager and Amorim regarded him as a ‘super talent’ and one of the most underappreciated English players.
Speaking in December after United’s 4-1 victory over Wolves, Amorim praised Mt. He said, “I think, again, we were a bit sloppy on the ball after the goal and that gave the opposition a bit of hope.
“But we created many chances in the first half as well. We should have finished the half differently and then at half-time they realised we had everything to win the game, to win the three points. And they did.
I think we showed good pace and quality in the second half, especially considering that Wolves are having a really difficult moment as a team and as a club, so we took advantage of that.
Mount made just six appearances during Carrick’s tenure in charge, totalling 126 minutes, with his only full appearance coming in a goalless draw against Sunderland.
The England midfielder will have to adapt to fit into Carrick’s tactical setup, with Carrick opting not to deploy two No.10s, a position where Mount previously thrived.
An injury ruled him out for six matches in February, and the limited playing time for Mount after that was a cautious approach as the club worked to get him back to full fitness.
Carrick said last month, “It’s wonderful to have Mason back to miss him so soon after we came in and got together.
So, he obviously had some of that in about two or three weeks of building and finding his rhythm, finding his finesse. So, it’s great to have him back.”

