The US is to allow the DR Congo soccer team into the World Cup despite Ebola sanctions. world cup 2026 news

The US is to allow the DR Congo soccer team into the World Cup despite Ebola sanctions. world cup 2026 news

The US has banned the entry of non-Americans who have visited the DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the last 21 days.

The United States will ensure that the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) soccer team can enter the country to play in the World Cup, allowing Ebola-related entry restrictions to be waived, according to a senior State Department official.

“We are hopeful that the DRC team will be able to participate in the World Cup,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Recommended Stories

4-item listend of list

The US has banned non-Americans who have been in the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan in the past 21 days from entering the country due to the deadly Ebola outbreak.

The US official said the DRC team, the only one of three nations to qualify for soccer’s premier event, was already training in Europe, so it could not have been subject to the ban in any case.

But if they had been in the DRC in the past 21 days, they would have faced the same strict checks as returning US citizens.

“We are working to get them tested in isolation under the same protocols that would be in place for returning US citizens and permanent residents,” the official said.

The official said the exemption would not apply to everyday fans coming from the DRC to cheer on the team.

The DRC will begin their World Cup campaign against Portugal on June 17 in Texas.

Source link