Man charged with plotting terrorist attack on Taylor Swift concert
The Taylor Swift concert in 2024 has been charged.
A man accused of plotting an attack on a Taylor Swift concert in 2024 has been charged with a terrorism-related offence.
The 21-year-old has now been charged by Austrian prosecutors following his arrest shortly before the singer was scheduled to perform on his first Eraz tour in Vienna.
Less than 24 hours before its scheduled start in August 2024, Swift cancelled her three-night run in the city.
The suspect is accused of planning to carry out an Islamist terrorist attack, and the Vienna prosecutors’ office plans to bring a criminal case against him in Wiener Neustadt, a city near the Austrian capital.
The man allegedly produced a small quantity of the explosive triacetone triperoxide and attempted to purchase weapons illegally, a statement issued on Monday said.
Read more:
Teens convicted of murder after luring man to beach
Blackout inside Russia after Ukraine’s ‘massive’ attack
The statement referred to the suspect’s arrest in August 2024, the same month that Austrian authorities said they had foiled an attack, after which Swift’s three Eras tour dates in Vienna were cancelled at short notice.
It said he was a member of Islamic State and is accused of conducting online research on a type of shrapnel bomb used by the group and spreading Islamic State “propaganda material” online.
The suspect’s attorney was not immediately available for comment, but he has previously disputed the allegations made against his client.
