Yemeni security forces disperse separatist demonstrations, killing at least five people and injuring numerous others.

Aden, Yemen — At least five people have been killed and more than two dozen others wounded in clashes between supporters of Yemen’s main separatist group and local security forces, officials and separatists said on Wednesday.

Ishraq Al-Maqtari, the newly appointed Minister of Legal Affairs in the internationally recognised government of Yemen, wrote on Twitter that Shabwa Governorate had experienced “traumatic events”.

The clashes began when supporters of Yemen’s separatist Southern Transitional Council stormed the governorate’s local administrative authorities building in the city of Ataq, attempting to take down the Yemeni flag, witnesses Khalid al-Merfedi and Salem Lahtal told The Associated Press.

He said local security forces immediately gained control of the building, secured it and were deployed throughout the surrounding area.

Al-Maqtari said, “The hope of resolving this tension rests on Shabwa’s leaders, elites, youths, and women, with the only stake being the lives, safety, and security of its citizens.” Shabwa’s interests must be prioritised above all narrow interests.”

The STC branch in Shabwa confirmed the deaths of five protesters in a statement.

Shabwa is currently under control Presidential Leadership Council, which was led by Rashad Al-Alimi. Council-affiliated forces reportedly intervened and fired warning shots to disperse the crowd.

In December, STC made Progress in Hadramout and al-Mahra governorates Pushing out Saudi-aligned National Shield forces and bringing into the open the rising tensions between Riyadh and Abu Dhabi. Deadly clashes erupt in the south of the country as separatist group announces its dissolution In the weeks that followed, protests Continued support of STC calls for an independent south.

Yemen has been embroiled in a civil war for more than a decade that involves a complicated link between sectarian and tribal grievances and the involvement of regional powers. The STC leader, Adraus al-Zubaidi, is wanted on treason charges and has fled to Abu Dhabi.

“Masked members of the security and military forces opened fire on the protesters,” the STC branch in Shabwa said in a statement.

security and military forces began firing directly at the protesters using light

It added: “As the mass march moved towards the Al-Fakhama Hotel… security and military forces began firing directly at the protesters using light and medium weapons, resulting in deaths and injuries.”

The STC accused forces affiliated with the local administration of Shabwa of attacking the designated protest site, demolishing the stage, and surrounding the area with armoured vehicles and soldiers, in what they described as a scene “similar to a battlefield”.

Last week, Al-Alimi announced a new 35-member cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shaye Al-Zandani, who also serves as the Foreign Minister. It included only two women: Afra al-Zouba, Minister of Planning and International Cooperation, and Ahad Jasoos, Minister of State for Women’s Affairs.

Source link

Hot this week

00:02:00

Robot Beats Usain Bolt’s 100m World Record: A New Era of Speed.

For sixteen years, Usain Bolt's 100m world record of...
00:02:55

Latest ary news headlines

ARY News channel source

Super League: St Helens Keep Play-Off Hopes Alive as Toulouse and Hull FC Claim Big Wins

St Helens Keep Play-Off Hopes Alive St Helens play-off hopes...

A66 Crash: What We Know After Seven Killed Near Middlesbrough

A66 Crash Leaves Seven People Dead The A66 crash that...

Risers and fallers Bears still looking for answers at left tackle after sloppy game

Chicago Bears head coach Ben Johnson had yet to...

Topics

00:02:00

Robot Beats Usain Bolt’s 100m World Record: A New Era of Speed.

For sixteen years, Usain Bolt's 100m world record of...
00:02:55

Latest ary news headlines

ARY News channel source

Super League: St Helens Keep Play-Off Hopes Alive as Toulouse and Hull FC Claim Big Wins

St Helens Keep Play-Off Hopes Alive St Helens play-off hopes...

A66 Crash: What We Know After Seven Killed Near Middlesbrough

A66 Crash Leaves Seven People Dead The A66 crash that...
00:43:37

Araujo to Liverpool Confirmed as Rodri and Romero Complete Major Transfers

Araujo to Liverpool Confirmed in Major Transfer Move Araujo to...
00:10:50

Greenock Wants Migrants to Move In as Scottish Town Battles Population Decline

Greenock Migrants Plan Aims to Reverse Decades of Population...
00:40:50

Lauren Price vs Stephanie Piñeiro: News Conference Build-Up to Cardiff World Title Fight

Lauren Price vs Stephanie Piñeiro: News Conference Sets the...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img