Two US soldiers and an interpreter killed in suspected Daesh attack in Syria

US forces are seen at the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) headquarters in Mount Karachok in this undated image near Malikiya, Syria. — Reuters/File
  • Convoy targeted during key leader engagement.
  • Three US soldiers wounded in attack: Centcom.
  • The US ambassador to Türkiye condemns the attack.

Two US Army soldiers and a civilian interpreter were killed on Saturday by a suspected Daesh attacker who targeted a convoy of American and Syrian forces, the US military said.

The attacker was a member of the Syrian security forces, three local officials told Reuters. A Syrian Interior Ministry spokesperson told a state-run television channel that the man did not have a leadership role in the security forces.

“On December 10, an evaluation was issued indicating that this attacker might hold extremist ideas, and a decision regarding him was due to be issued tomorrow, on Sunday,” the spokesperson, Noureddine el-Baba, told Syrian television channel Al-Ikhbariya.

Central Command says the attacker was killed

Three US soldiers were also wounded in the attack, the US military’s Central Command said.

In a statement, Central Command said the attack by a lone gunman occurred “as the soldiers were conducting a key leader engagement” in the central Syrian town of Palmyra.

US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth wrote in a social media post that “Partner forces” killed the attacker.

A senior US official said initial assessments indicated that Daesh probably carried out the attack, although the militant group did not immediately claim responsibility.

It took place in an area not controlled by the Syrian government, the official said.

Baba said Syria had warned about the possibility of a Daesh attack in that region, but “coalition forces did not take the Syrian warnings… into account.”

He stated that Syria would ascertain whether the attacker was affiliated with Daesh or simply adhered to the group’s ideology.

The soldiers’ names will be withheld until 24 hours after the next-of-kin notification, the US military said.

US envoy condemns the attack

Syrian state news agency SANA quoted a security source as saying two Syrian service personnel were injured, without providing further details.

The source told SANA that American helicopters evacuated the injured to a US base in Syria’s Al-Tanf region near the Iraqi border.

Tom Barrack, the US ambassador to Türkiye and special envoy to Syria, condemned the attack.

“We mourn the loss of three brave US service members and civilian personnel and wish a speedy recovery to the Syrian troops wounded in the attack,” Barrack said in a statement.

“We remain committed to defeating terrorism with our Syrian partners.”

The attack was barely a month after Syria announced it had signed a political cooperation agreement with the US-led coalition against Daesh, which coincided with Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa’s visit to the White House.

The coalition has carried out air strikes and ground operations in Syria targeting Daesh suspects in recent months, often with the involvement of Syria’s security forces.

Syria last month also carried out a nationwide campaign, arresting more than 70 people accused of links to the group.

The United States has troops stationed in northeastern Syria as part of a decade-long effort to help a Kurdish-led force there.

Source link

Hot this week

Gurkhas Deployed to Help Fight UK Wildfires as South Wales Battles Major Blazes

Gurkhas Deployed to Fight UK Wildfires Gurkhas have been deployed...

Xabi Alonso’s Chelsea New Era: Enzo Fernández’s Future, Transfers and Stamford Bridge Rebuild Analysed

Xabi Alonso’s Chelsea project is about to face its...

Europe Wildfires Latest: Two Die in Greece as Belgium Fights Record Blaze

The Europe wildfires' latest update brings grim news from...

Natalie Imbruglia Net Worth 2026: From Living in a Chelsea Basement to the Success of “Torn”

Natalie Imbruglia Net Worth in 2026 Natalie Imbruglia’s net worth...

Jason Arday’s Death: Cambridge Defends Handling of Plagiarism Row as Questions Grow

Jason Arday’s Death Puts Cambridge’s Handling of Plagiarism Row...

Topics

Gurkhas Deployed to Help Fight UK Wildfires as South Wales Battles Major Blazes

Gurkhas Deployed to Fight UK Wildfires Gurkhas have been deployed...

Europe Wildfires Latest: Two Die in Greece as Belgium Fights Record Blaze

The Europe wildfires' latest update brings grim news from...

Natalie Imbruglia Net Worth 2026: From Living in a Chelsea Basement to the Success of “Torn”

Natalie Imbruglia Net Worth in 2026 Natalie Imbruglia’s net worth...

Jason Arday’s Death: Cambridge Defends Handling of Plagiarism Row as Questions Grow

Jason Arday’s Death Puts Cambridge’s Handling of Plagiarism Row...

Premier League Clubs Complete Final Pre-Season Preparations Ahead of 2026/27 Kick-Off

Premier League Clubs Complete Final Pre-Season Preparations Premier League pre-season...

UK Wildfires Latest: What’s Happening on 15 August 2026

The UK wildfires' latest update for 15 August 2026...

MP calls on Andy Burnham to offer railcard discount for commuters over 30

An MP has urged ministers serving Andy Burnham to...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img